Things I like

Friday, April 12, 2013

Now you can buy prints of my work...

Fine Art America has now set up widgets (see to the right) where visitors can order prints of my work directly from here. If you are interested there are lots of options for greeting cards all the way up to canvas prints.

I have completed about a dozen new paintings so far this year, in addition to working on art journals. I am beginning to participate in what is called "Project Life" starting next week, which involves posting something -- an Instagram photo, or detritus from the day, in addition to journaling about EVERY DAY of your life, no matter how short the note. I will see if I can keep it up. Heck, my 94-year-old father writes in his "diary" a sentence or two every night, so if he can, surely I can.

I continue to participate in swaps whenever I can, and continually learn from YouTube, which has to be the greatest invention since the Internet itself. How to use papier mache? It's there. How to use expandable paint? It's there. (You have to heat the back side. I just thought it would expand by itself and waited and waited and waited.....)

And all my new paintings have the new glaze techniques I learned from Chris Comer's wonderful book. It really has given my paintings the finished look I have been seeking. There's no such thing as a self-taught artist. We learn from others. My first teacher was my neighbor, Laurie Svec, and I have learned from Joseph Melancon and Bob Burridge and Cheryl McClure and Nita Leland... monkey see, monkey do. That's it.

I cut my own stencils on my Pazzles with the MakeTheCut software that I am always touting, then I am free to stamp or spray patterns willy-nilly.

It would have been so nice to have known when I was a child that I was a "visual" learner. Better late than never, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment